Every ten years, China gets a set of leaders. At the apex is the seven-member standing committee of the politburo. Its members are now, in rank order:
- Xi Jinping, 59, Vice President of China (soon to be President presumably), General Secretary of the Communist Party of China, Chairman of the Central Military Commission, President of the Central Party School.
- Li Keqiang, 57, the second-ranking, soon to take over as Premier presumably
- Zhang Dejiang, 65, Chongqing party boss
- Yu Zhengsheng, 67, party boss of Shanghai
- Liu Yunshan, 65, director of the party’s propaganda department
- Wang Qishan, 64, former mayor of Beijing
- Zhang Gaoli, 65, party chief of Tianjin